Revealed: Muslim convert who shot dead Canadian soldier is the privately-educated son of country’s immigration chief

Muslim convert who shot dead Canadian soldier is the privately-educated son of country’s immigration chief and has links to Syrian terrorist claims friend from mosque 

  • Quebec-born Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, recently converted to Islam and had dreams of heading to the Middle East

  • He had his passport seized after being designated a ‘high-risk traveler’ – despite his mother being on Canada’s immigration board

  • He had multiple drug and robbery arrests, and a 2003 weapons charge

  • He had told a friend the ‘devil was after him’ and knew a man who is still at large after leaving Canada to join Islamist fighters in Syria 

  • Shooting came on the day Prime Minister Stephen Harper was due to give Nobel Peace Prize winning activist Malala Yousafzai Canadian citizenship

  • Harper addressed his country later, saying this ‘terrorist attack’ would ‘not intimidate Canada’   

  • Bibeau had visited the U.S four times, with officials tracing who he met there

  • He was shot dead by Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers after his deadly attack

  • Report claims his father fought among anti-gaddafi rebels in Libya in 2011 

    Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the Muslim convert who fatally shot Corporal Nathan Cirillo – a 24-year-old father standing guard at Ottawa’s War Memorial, was a petty criminal and the son of a leading Canadian immigration official, it has been revealed.

    Born in Quebec as Michael Joseph Hall and raised in Laval, just north of Montreal, the young man lived a quiet childhood of private schools and suburban homes, with a mother who was a high ranking federal employee.

    Then, after years of run-ins with the law, he converted to Islam.

    Gunman: Michael Zehaf-Bibeau (allegedly pictured above) has been named as the Muslim convert who shot dead Corporal Nathan Cirillo and opened fire on the Canadian Parliament

    Race: An Ottawa police officer runs with his weapon drawn outside Parliament Hill  on Wednesday after Zehaf-Bibeau attacked the Parliament and National War Memorial, injuring  three people and killing one

    Final moments: Corporal Cirillo (left) is pictured guarding the National War Memorial just minutes before he was shot and killed

    Attacks: There were shootings at the War Memorial and at the Parliament. Police also initially thought there was a shooting at the Rideau Centre Mall, but have since said this was not the case

    A criminal court database shows 13 identified Quebec court records dating back to June 2001 in Montreal involving Zehaf-Bibeau. He was charged in February 2004 for possession of marijuana and possession of PCP. He pleaded guilty to both charges in December 2004, serving one day in prison for marijuana possession and 60 days for PCP possession. He also spent a day in jail in March of 2004 for a parole violation and was again convicted of marijuana possession in 2009. In another case, he received a six-month sentence in 2003 and three years’ probation on a weapons charge, according to the Herald News. There was also a prior conviction for assault causing bodily harm in 2001 for which he received a suspended sentence and a fine. His longest sentence was for robbery, possession of break-in tools, theft and conspiracy with a co-accused in 2003, for which he was sentenced to two years in jail and three years probation. It is uncertain how much of that sentence he ultimately ended up serving.  In 2011, he was again charged with robbery, this time in Vancouver, but served only one day in prison after he pleaded guilty to the lesser offense of uttering threats, and was credited with 66 days in pre-trial custody. Records show that in the 2011 case, he underwent a psychiatric assessment prior to his conviction and was found fit to stand trial.

    Filmed: A dashboard camera filming around the time 911 was called shows a man entering a car very similar to the one Zehaf-Bibeau was driving

    Armed: The man is seen holding what appears to be a gun as he gets in and drives away

    Gunned down: Cirillo is raced to an ambulance after he was fatally shot in the abdomen by a gunman as he stood guard at the National War Memorial outside the Canadian Parliament Wednesday morning

    One of his friends, David Bathurst, a fellow convert, said he met him at at the Masjid al-Salaam mosque in Burnaby, British Columbia about three years ago. Bathurst even got Zehaf-Bibeau a job at his family’s business, Bathurst Irrigation.

    Close friend: David Bathurst (above), a fellow Muslim convert, befriended Zehaf-Bibeau at their mosque and even got him a job, but says he soon seemed as if he might me 'mentally ill'

    Close friend: David Bathurst (above), a fellow Muslim convert, befriended Zehaf-Bibeau at their mosque and even got him a job, but says he soon seemed as if he might me ‘mentally ill’

    He said the young man lived in a small and unfurnished apartment, and that while he did not ‘at first appear to have extremist views or inclinations toward violence’ he ‘at times exhibited a disturbing side.’ ‘We were having a conversation in a kitchen, and I don’t know how he worded it: He said the devil is after him,’ Bathurst said. ‘I think he must have been mentally ill.’ He cited one time Bibeau called police to the mosque to confess to a crime he had committed years before. Bathurst said Bibeau wanted to travel to the Middle East, and he urged him to make sure it was just studying on his mind. He says Zehaf-Bibeau told him he was ‘only going abroad with the intent of learning about Islam and to study Arabic.’ He was never able to go though, and sources told The Globe and Mail ‘he had not been able to secure a valid travel document from federal officials, who have been taking measures to prevent Canadians from joining extremists overseas.’ It’s understood that he traveled to the U.S on four occasions – most recently in 2013. Officials there are trying to trace who he met while in the country. It’s not known at this time if he made contact with any extremists, according to CNN. Bathurst says that after friction with the elders at the house of worship, Zehaf-Bibeau was eventually asked to stop attending prayers at the mosque. Bathurst also brought up that Zehaf-Bibeau knew Hasibullah Yusufzai, a British Columbia man, charged under an anti-terrorism law for allegedly leaving Canada to join Islamist fighters in Syria. He remains at large.

    Place of worship: The Masjid al-Salaam mosque where Bathurst and Zehaf-Bibeau met, and where Zehaf-Bibeau was asked to leave after clashing with elders

    Questionable company: Bathurst says Zehaf-Bibeau knew Hasibullah Yusufzai (above), who was charged under an anti-terrorism law for allegedly leaving Canada to join Islamist fighters in Syria

    Humble home: A look at The Beacon (above), a Salvation Army rooming house in Vancouver that was listed as one of Zehaf-Bibeau's last residences

    CTV News reports that Zehaf-Bibeau’s mother, Susan Bibeau, still lives in Montreal and works as a a federal public servant for the Immigrant & Refugee board.

    Mother: CTV News reports that Zehaf-Bibeau's mother is Susan Bibeau, who works for the Immigration and Refuge Board of Canada

    A look on the Immigration and Refuge Board of Canada site shows a Susan Bibeau, whose title is listed as Deputy Chairperson, Immigration Division. According to the site, she joined IRB in 1990 as a refugee protection officer, working her way up over her 24-year career. She holds a Bachelor of Law degree from the Université de Montréal, a Master of Business Administration from Concordia University, and a graduate certificate in business administration from the Public Administration University. CTV reporter Norma Reid reported that authorities are still looking for her in the early hours of Thursday morning. His father is a Libyan businessman named Bulgasem Zehaf who once owned a local restaurant, Cafe Tripoli. His parents divorced in 1999, and there are reports that his father ‘appears to have fought in 2011 in Libya.’ The Washington Times quoted a fighter named Belgasem Zahef in a dispatch from anti-Gaddafi rebels in 2011.  Describing himself as from Montreal but a Zawiyah native he said he witnessed torture when held in a regime prison. Sources describe his son Zehaf-Bibeau as ‘a man who had had a religious awakening and seemed to have become mentally unstable.’ That was not always the case though it seems. Janice Parnell, a former neighbor of the family, said Zehaf-Bibeau was a typical teen, though one who led a very privileged life. She said he went to a ‘private school’ and lived in a ‘nice home in a nice neighborhood,’ and that the only problem she ever had with Bibeau was that he ‘played loud music.’ She also said he seemed to be an only child.  That is a far cry from the Bibeau’s last known address in Vancouver, which, according to the Ottawa Citizen, was The Beacon, a Salvation Army rooming house.

    Hero: Kevin Vickers shot dead Bibeau after his deadly rampage on Canada's parliament. The security chief has his own weapon, pictured, and is a former police officer

    Armed: Sergeant-at-Arms<br /><br />
Kevin Vickers, pictured carrying out his ceremonial mace carrying function, shot dead Zehaf-Bibeau

    Mourning: A makeshift memorial sits on a downtown street one block away from Canada's National War Memorial in Ottawa

    In memory: A young girl places a flower outside the gates of John Weir Foote Armory in honor of Corporal Cirillo

    Grief: A man wipes away tears at a memorial outside the gates of the John Weir Foote Armory, the home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada

    Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Address To The Nation

    Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world. But let there be no misunderstanding, we will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated. In fact, this will lead us to strengthen our resolve and redouble our efforts and those of our national security agencies to take all necessary steps to identify and counter threats and keep Canada safe here at home, just as it will lead us to strengthen our resolve and redouble our efforts to work with our allies around the world and fight against the terrorist organizations who brutalize those in other countries with the hope of bringing their savagery to our shores. They will have no safe haven. 

    Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper addressed his nation on Wednesday evening from an undisclosed location, condemning this horrific act which he labeled a terrorist attack.

    He also told his people that ‘Canada will never be intimidated,’

    President Obama also spoke about what he called the ‘tragic’ situation in Canada, saying ‘we have to remain vigilant when it comes to dealing with these kinds of acts of senseless violence or terrorism.’

    He then added, ‘I pledged, as always, to make sure that our national security teams are coordinating very closely, given not only is Canada one of our closest allies in the world but they’re our neighbors and our friends, and obviously there’s a lot of interaction between Canadians and the United States, where we have such a long border.’

    President Obama faced a national incident himself hours later on Wednesday night when an intruder once again hopped the fence at the White House and made their way towards the residence.

    Addressing the nation: Prime Minister Stephen Harper (above) said Canada would not be intimidated by this 'terrorist' attack



    The shooting spree began at 9.52am when witnesses reported seeing a gunman climb out of a car, grab a rifle, shoot the soldier in the abdomen and then turn towards Parliament. Corporal Cirillo was rushed to hospital but later succumbed to his injuries. Cirillo, a fitness fanatic and animal lover with a six-year-old son, was a reservist serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in Hamilton. ‘Nathan was a good man,’ friend Marie Michele told CBC News. ‘He would give anything to anyone.’ Eye-witness Tony Zobl, 35, told The Canadian Press: ‘I looked out the window and saw a shooter – a man dressed all in black with a kerchief over his nose and mouth and something over his head as well – holding a rifle and shooting an honour guard in front of the Cenotaph, point blank, twice. ‘It looked like the honour guard was trying to reach for the barrel of the gun. The honour guard dropped to the ground and the shooter kind of raised his arms in triumph holding the rifle.’

    Horror: Footage shows the moment multiple gunshots ran out around the marble halls - too many to count - and the police were seen to advance on the shooter's apparent position

    Defense: People inside the Conservative Party caucus room blocked the door with a stack of chairs

    An eye-witness told The Ottawa Citizen that he’d seen a man armed with a double-barreled shotgun wearing a scarf ‘hijack a car’. He added: ‘It was pretty intense.’ Ottawa police received a call at 9.54am that shots had been heard inside the Parliament, while journalists cowering inside said they heard dozens of rounds and could smell gunpowder in the halls. A shootout unfolded and Zehaf-Bibeau was killed by Sergeant-At-Arms Kevin Vickers, who worked for the RCMP for 29 years before joining the Parliament in 2006. (He is pictured by the Hill Times.) ‘I am safe & profoundly grateful to Sgt at Arms Kevin Vickers & our security forces for selfless act of keeping us safe,’ said Julian Fantino, Canada’s Minister of Veterans Affairs, on Twitter. The Sergeant-at-Arms is responsible for safeguarding the authority of the House of Commons and providing safety and security of the Parliament buildings and the people inside. As gunfire erupted in the hallways, journalists and politicians scrambled for safety, while members in the Conservative Party caucus room blocked the door with a stack of chairs.


    SERGEANT-AT-ARMS Kevin Vickers is being hailed a hero for reportedly shooting dead the gunman inside Canada’s parliament. Mr Vickers, pictured, was praised by politicians for ‘selflessly keeping them safe’ after grabbing a gun he keeps in his office amid the rampage. The sergeant-at-arms is the person responsible for safety and security of parliament and has the ceremonial role of carrying a gold mace into the House of Commons. Ex-policeman Mr Vickers has held the position for eight years. MP Craig Scott wrote on Twitter: ‘MPs … owe their safety, even lives, to sergeant-at-arms Kevin Vickers who shot attacker just outside the MPs’ caucus rooms.’ Minister Julian Fantino added that he was ‘profoundly grateful’ for Mr Vickers’ ‘selfless act.’

    Waiting: A reporter shared this image on Twitter showing a running car police say belongs to the suspect

    Prime Minister Stephen Harper was immediately evacuated from Parliament and taken to an undisclosed location. He had been scheduled to give Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai, co-winner of this year’s Nobel Peace Prize, her Canadian citizenship in Toronto, but that trip was cancelled. The teenage activist took to Twitter after the incident, writing, ‘I extend my thoughts and prayers to the Canadian people during this difficult time.’

    Sending her thoughts: Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, who was in Toronto when the shooting occurred, sent her thoughts and prayers

    Sending her thoughts: Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, who was in Toronto when the shooting occurred, sent her thoughts and prayers

    Shock: A mourner lays flowers at a memorial in Hamilton, Ontario

    Tribute: Another holds her head in disbelief following the tragedy that happened in the capitol 

    Hurt:  Parliament was placed under lock-down after the gunman opened fire on the soldier, pictured

    Rush: Emergency responders attempt to secure a portion of downtown Ottawa near Parliament Hill

    Scott Walsh, who was working on Parliament Hill, told CBC that he saw a man running with a shotgun, wearing a scarf and blue jeans. He said that the man jumped over a fence around Parliament Hill and forced someone out of their car, then drove to the front doors of the Parliament building and fired at least twice. Reporter Jordan Press added that the car – a Toyota Corolla – was parked in front of the building with its engine still running. A video shot by a Globe and Mail reporter showed RCMP officers moving through Parliament’s main hall toward the Parliamentary library, as the hallway echoed with gunfire. Other reporters inside the building described the panic in the hallways.

    Guns raised: Emergency responders escort VIPs out of building on Sparks Street near the Post Office

    Trained: A heavily armed RCMP officer takes position at the gate of 24 Sussex Dr., the official residence of the Prime Minister, on Wednesday

    ‘Dozens of shots in parliament,’ Josh Wingrove, a reporter for the Globe and Mail, tweeted just before 10am. ‘I see a body on the ground outside the library of parliament.  Speaking to CNN, Wingrove said it appeared Zehaf-Bibeau entered the front entrance that has ‘many armed guards’ but no metal detector’.,’If you flash your valid pass, they allow you to go in,’ he said. ‘This appears to be the entry point [of the gunman] based on witness accounts.’

    Briefed: The head of RCMP Bob Paulson briefs Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the shootings

    Read more:


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.